[OpenLayers-Dev] Additional Documentation

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Nov 14 10:13:25 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 09:29:43AM -0500, Schuyler Erle wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 09:25 -0500, Schuyler Erle wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the discussion on this point. Do we want to do anything about
> > the docs as such that are already in SVN?
>
> Sorry, note to self: *don't* post to mailing lists before coffee.
>
> I *meant*: given that we have fragments of documentation in the wiki, do
> we want to do anything about porting them over to the proposed
> documentation directory in SVN, once/if we make the proposed addition?

I think that what we currently have in the wiki is both disorganized and
ad-hoc. I think that it makes as much sense to organize and improve the
wiki -- and I've been doing some cleaning in that regard -- as it does
to improve our documentation in a more complete way.

What I've done with my spherical mercator doc is integrate a number of
pieces of text which are currently in the wiki. nce it's checked into
SVN and published n the website in a human-readable way, I plan to go
through the wiki and make links back and forth between the two.

Over time, the wiki should then become a way for us to collect new
commentary on existing dcumentation, or nte things that hsould be added
-- while the 'official' documentation is the result of a curator taking
that wikitext and moving it into a curated document.

So, "yes", it makes sense to move things we've gathered into the wiki
into more 'official'/solid documentation, but no mre so than it does to
organize the mess that is our current wiki, hence my lack of concern on
this point: We haven't done much on this front so far :)