[OpenLayers-Dev] OSGeo Project Sponsorship

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Nov 17 07:20:01 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 03:59:35AM +0100, Eric Lemoine wrote:
> I'd be +1 for OSGeo. If I were a sponsor I'd prefer to donate money
> through an organization like the OSGeo.
>
> Also, I think it'd make sense that the OSGeo list its project sponsors
> on its web page. Is it already the case? Sponsors will then be visible
> on the project website, as well as the OSGeo web site.

Since project sponsorship is managed by projects -- and not by OSGeo
directly -- I think it's fair to say that it's the responsibility of the
projects to ensure that sponsors are adequately recognized. (As one of
the primary pushers of the sponsorship program, I'm considering that my
personal responsibility.)

I do not, at this pint, have a plan to request that OSGeo also recognize
OL sponsors on their website; It would mean twice as much work for me :)
and more importantly, I'm not sure that it fits in well -- if sponsors
want to be recognized on the OSGeo website, I think it makes sense to
spnsor OSGeo directly (as camptocamp, and many other organizes, does/do).