[OpenLayers-Dev] GeoConnexion Magazine Article

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Nov 17 22:18:50 EST 2008

In the November issue of the GeoConnexion magazine, ("Geo:
International"), an article I wrote was published in OSGeo's
Monthly Column, "Open Sources". The article talks a bit about
the history of OpenLayers, and how it came to be developed the way it
did:

    OpenLayers was the first mapping framework to make an explicit
    statement that it was not an application at all, but a toolkit for
    building mapping applications. This different approach resulted in a
    somewhat long curve to acceptance. In its infancy, the project was
    used only by developers: people who had a strong knowledge of what
    they wanted to do, and needed to have more control over their tools
    in order to do it. This early audience helped to build a rapid
    development environment where many of the users of the code were
    also able to contribute fixes and improvements based on their needs.
    This developer-friendly environment may be one of the key
    differences that has allowed OpenLayers development to continue to
    grow.

More is included in the full article, available as a PDF from the
GeoConnexion website:

  http://www.geoconnexion.com/uploads/opensource_15_intv7i10.pdf

I pounded the article out in a couple hours, so it may have some pretty
serious flaws, but I tried to accurately represent everyone involved :)