[OpenLayers-Dev] Base Layer vs. Main layer

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Nov 19 12:55:31 EST 2008

Hi Kenneth,

in a simplistic view of the world, there are two types of layers that
OpenLayers deals with - opaque and non-opaque.  Opaque layers will
obscure anything 'beneath' them because they are ... er, opaque ;)
This is what OpenLayers calls a base layer.  Because only one can be
seen at a time, all base layers are considered to be mutually
exclusive and non-visible ones are turned off for performance reasons.

I don't believe that modifying OpenLayers to add another type of layer
will benefit the code base at all.  I don't think it is clear to me
why the current way OpenLayers works is making it difficult for you to
do what you want to do.  Could you explain your use case please?

Paul