[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers 3.0 Development

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Nov 24 07:45:01 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 09:21:14AM +0100, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S wrote:
> It sounds like a great idea, and it actually works for Python.
>
> However, since OpenLayers extensively use subclassing, won't this be
> a problem, if one were to make WFS3 it might be required to also make
> Layer3, Grid3, etc?

It might. If so, so be it, as far as I'm concerned.

> I can also see that the Map and Layer classes are tightly coupled, so I
> forsee trouble there. Will there be extra development to allow a Map3 to
> support a Layer, and vice versa for Layer3 and Map?

Not in my opinin -- this falls into the "We might not generate
alternatives for everything" category. If we need a new map, and the
layers need to behave differently, only updated layers will work (in the
same way only updated controls will work with newe vector layers, for
example).