[OpenLayers-Dev] Entering OSGeo Project Sponsorship

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Oct 13 13:06:54 EDT 2008

Chris,

I'm fully behind this initiative!  I would be willing to do some of
the grunt work related to this.

GDAL has used sponsorship money in the past to contract various folks
for core maintenance tasks, thereby getting some much needed but
unglamourous or often neglected tasks done.  It has also grown the
community of developers by bringing in folks how don't necessarily
know the library well but have some decent skills and allowing them to
get involved in the project.

If we are able to use some of the money to bring in some new or
perhaps not-quite-core folks to do some core maintenance/grunt work,
we could expand the number of people who are able to contribute to
OpenLayers.

Cheers

Paul

On 11-Oct-08, at 12:29 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> So, if you've read this far: Do you have any qualms about pursuing
> sponsorhip of this kind? Do you think that OpenLayers should
> participate
> in this sponsorship program? Is there something eles you'd rather see
> the project do to allow participation by more organizations in the
> direction of OpenLayers without direct development involvement?

    Paul Spencer
    Chief Technology Officer
    DM Solutions Group Inc
    http://www.dmsolutions.ca/