[OpenLayers-Dev] Entering OSGeo Project Sponsorship

Erik Uzureau euzuro at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 02:32:39 EDT 2008

solid +1 from me on all this, chris.

my only thoughts at this point are:

1) management/infrastructure: what are the actual logisitics for getting
this money, dividing it up, allocating it? i would assume that osgeo has the
apparatus in place for the first part (taking it in, taking their 25%) but
then after that, how do we roll? are there any wierd tax issues with this?
will OpenLayers be making contributions to political parties?

2) having a "budget", even if it's not huge, I think adds a whole new
dimension to the responsibilities of the PSC. if this is something we want
to pursue seriously, i think it would be worth:

     2a) drawing up some formal guidelines for how this money is to be
spent: ie. votes by psc on propositions, etc

     2b) reconsidering the current composition of the PSC: I know this has
been discussed on the side a bit recently, but I think your comments in the
below emails are spot on and that companies who would like to be sponsors
will want some sort of semi-direct way of having their opinions voiced.
whether that is a direct seat on the PSC or some sort of wierd proxy, an
even and justified PSC is I think a prereq for going out and sellling this.
Notably, the creation of our PSC was made not on a whim but also certainly
not in a controlled laboratory setting*.

3) if it were up to me, any money that we could somehow bring in from
sponsors should be directly invested in "bunker" weeks, as we have been
having in the past. there seems no question in my mind that these have
always been super successful and very positive social events that open up
communications channels, turn out a bunch of code, and allow otherwise petty
developers like myself to feel something like important businesspeople, what
with the "gotta catch a flight", and the casual droppings of "my colleague"
to skeptical concierges and waitresses around town.

In the past, the way the bunkers have always worked is that we have a fixed
number of days, and everyone sort of shows up to the bunker with their own
agenda. Agendas can either be merged in the leadup to the event or in the
first few hours/day... but it seems at any rate a mostly democratic way of
doing things. When it's the case that your company is paying to send you to
a bunker, the message is clear that you should at the very least make an
effort to promote the ideas for projects your company would like to have
moved forward. I imagine it would be no different with sponsors: "Well Apple
has given us $38,000, I guess we should port OL to the iphone" or something
of that nature.

What I wanted to get at, though, is the difference between the bunker
approach and the direct subcontracting approach is that, especially in the
case where we're not talking about a big chunk of money... it is I think
pretty easy to spend the money on common things that would effortlessly
benefit all bunker-attending contributors -- and therefore the openlayers
project as a whole. things like renting office space or internet
connections. paying for lunch or even some sort of lodging subsidy. The idea
being that if it could somehow be split evenly over all attendees, well all
that might just simply translate to less headaches for the PSC in terms of
taking heated decisions on who gets what, which I can see as a potential
nastiness that at least I personally would rather avoid if possible.

Now, this is of course is assuming that when company x expresses interest to
sponsor us with HEAVY insinuations that this should be for "implementing the
blah control" or whatever, that desire should most certainly be taken into
consideration and hopefully carried out (either in bunker time, or if need
be via direct payment consulting).

it's now getting really late and I should be asleep. so if any of the above
doesn't make sense, you'll have to forgive me. I haven't yet gone through
and installed my MailGoggles[1] yet :-)

* Most glarlingly, the fact that I happened to be the original "chair" of
this committee seems almost pulled out of a hat, and that I remain in office
now some 2.5 years later more a testament to social grace (or disorganized
mutiny) than any sort of reflection of my knowledge, coding style, ideas
about the future, or even my occasional, presumptive, 3/4-hearted attempts
at "managing".

[1]
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-in-labs-stop-sending-mail-you-later.html