[OpenLayers-Dev] snapping patch status

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 01:09:19 EDT 2008

Hi

As some of you know, I tried to work on the snapping code at the
FOSS4G code sprint, starting with Fred's patch. My brain being
switched off this day I didn't succeed in anything this day. Since
then I've made some progress, and I thought I could give some status
on it to the dev list.

So basically:

"snapping as creating features" works and is close to be ready for review.

"snapping as modifying features" works too but implies numerous, ugly
changes to the modify feature control.

What makes "snapping as modifying" different from "snapping as
creating" is that the modify feature control doesn't use a sketch
layer, which causes snap-to-self issues (Fred's code also suffers
this). My ugly changes to the modify feature control involves using a
sketch layer, but since the control wasn't built around the sketch
layer idea, adding it afterwards results in unacceptable complexity.

I think "snapping as creating" is kinda useless if "snapping as
modifying" isn't available, that's why I don't plan to add the
"snapping as creating" patch for review. This patch is actually not
intrusive, so if you think it's worth to have it review please tell
me.

One last word about the modify feature control: I thought about
rewriting it from scratch, but at this point I don't see how it could
be rewritten in a cleaner way.

That's all for now.

Eric