[OpenLayers-Dev] resolutions/scales question

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Oct 28 12:00:34 EDT 2008

Hey-

Eric Lemoine wrote:
> Hi devs
>
> I have a question related to resolutions and overlays. initResolutions
> calculates the resolutions array. Is this at actually needed for
> overlays? Don't overlays always use the resolutions defined in the
> base layer?

Yep, they do.  So, layer.resolutions is ignored for all but the base layer.

I look forward to talking about fixed resolutions and "base layers" for 3.0.

We've got a number of applications that don't differentiate between
overlays and base layers.  That is, any layer can be displayed as the
lowest layer in the draw stack and any layer can be used to determine
projection related parameters.  For this to work (effectively switching
isBaseLayer from false to true and back), the initResolutions call is
needed somewhere.  (In case you were going to suggest doing away with it.)

Tim

> Thanks,
>
> Eric

Tim Schaub