[OpenLayers-Dev] Committing to Trunk

Erik Uzureau euzuro at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 12:09:28 EDT 2008

Dev,

exec summary: DO NOT COMMIT TO TRUNK IF IT WILL NOT GO IN 2.7

Just a heads up. There has been a fair amount of activity on trunk
this week. Mostly small patches fixing comments, etc.

Given that many of these commits are going in without any Pullup
reference, this makes the release manager's job horribly
tedious, since I would have to be tracking each and every single
commit, making corresponding patch files, applying them
one by one to the branch.

The alternative solution, which the OL project has and has not used in
past releases is to simply do a bulk merge up to the
branch of *all* diffs to trunk since the last RC. This is what I did
to make the 2.7 rc2, and it is what I would like to do to make
the 2.7 rc3.

HOWEVER! In order to do that, I must have a commitment from dev *not*
to put any patches to trunk that will not be brought
up to the branch.

Do not misunderstand me -- everything we've done so far is perfectly
fine and no problems. Please keep fixing ND comments
and everything... those are not a problem. Just please do not put in
any patches that will be for 2.8 until at least we do rc3.

Thanks,
Erik