[OpenLayers-Dev] Patch: NavigationHistory tracks base layer changes

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Aug 25 16:24:03 EDT 2009

Hey-

Jochen Topf wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Enclosed a small patch to optionally also track base layer changes in the
> NavigationHistory Control. Just set the trackBaseLayerChange option to true.
> Default is false, ie. old behaviour.

Nice to see how small the change is.  However, I feel like this is
pretty application specific.  Another application might want to restore
layer visibility (though this takes it even farther from a navigation
history control).  And this patch wouldn't work with an application that
allowed layers to be removed.

I can imagine a patch that added a couple events to the control.  When a
change event was fired, any listener could modify the state object.
When a restore event was fired, a listener could use any custom state
properties to restore the state.

Since this control only listens for "moveend" it will always be a
navigation history control.  Firing events and letting applications
decide how to represent and restore state doesn't muddle the purpose of
the control in the library.

If you're interested in this (events based approach), I'd be happy to
review a patch (attached to a ticket).  Though I'll likely need a ping
to remember to check it out.

Tim

> I use this at http://bestofosm.org/ .
>
> Jochen