[OpenLayers-Dev] gml:boundedBy

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu Feb 5 12:28:31 EST 2009

Hey-

I trashed the last message, but this is a response to the latest from Eric.

Yes, geometry bounds is used by the renderer.  The calculation is
expensive (given many features/many points).  If the server has done it
for us already, we gain efficiency.  Not only in rendering, but in any
feature selection by location, intersection tests, snapping, etc.

I can't tell if this is just a pedantic argument, or if you guys have
any real reason to think making use of gml:boundedBy will bring users harm.

How about if we wait until people who use GML complain that things
aren't working because their servers are reporting bogus gml:boundedBy
elements?

At that point, someone could create a patch that makes it optional.
Until then, we all enjoy efficiency gains.

Tim

--
Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org