[OpenLayers-Dev] library size & advanced geometry functions

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu Feb 5 14:03:35 EST 2009

Hey-

So, users can currently control the size of their library build with a
custom build profile.  This works well when there are entire classes
that are not needed in an application.

In the case of geometries, there is a good bit of functionality that
could be added.  I originally considered a separate library that would
extend OpenLayers geometries with more advanced functionality.  This
would keep the OpenLayers builds small and give more functionality just
to those who wanted it.

I also know that a whole lot more people would get the opportunity to
use the functionality if it were part of OpenLayers.  I like the
convention of keeping all extensions to our constructor prototypes in a
single file.  However, it is not strictly necessary.  On option for
adding functionality that could be excluded from a custom build would be
to have additional files that extended the geometry prototypes.

What do others think?  Seems to me like there are three options:

1) Keep piling code into the same geometry files.
2) Stop piling code into the geometry files, and go with the separate
library idea.
3) Put the stuff in separate files (GeometryEx/ or something).

Tim

--
Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org