[OpenLayers-Dev] scale and performance

John McCrae johnmccraejnr at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 11 17:42:40 EST 2009

I am new to OpenLayers and was hoping to get some advice on the following:

1.) I am dealing with a large scale area typically within a scale range of 1:1000 - 1:10000. I have noticed that yahoo and similarly google only extend to roughly 1:18000 with OSM operating in a somewhat cumbersome manner there after.

2.) I have added some KML data much of which is in the region of 2MB and have noticed the performance when added in combination with one of the above is very slow and at times shuts down the browser altogether.

Please could someone guide me in the right direction ito making my application as light weight and responsive as possible. It seems as though OL operates with maximum efficiency at small scales but is not ideal for scales larger than 1:20000. I was thinking a solution might be to extract a tile or somehow restrict OSM display to the area of interest. For the layer performance, I need to display polygon layers that contain around 2000 polygons in the 1:10000 area or 5000 points all would have attribute data associated. In an ideal OpenLayer world what is the best format to have such data in that would provide for a responsive result? In terms of projection with regard to projecting data at this scale from the local projection into OL display please point me in the direction of available projections or any documentation of how to apply these.

Up until now I have been working with Geomoose and Fist front ends to
mapserver, these have served me well however I would like to move
towards a more open customizable clean solution.

In summary
best option for large scale areabest format for data layersprojection data information
Thank you kindly in advance for your response, I look forward to getting up to speed with OpenLayer development

John