[OpenLayers-Dev] [OpenLayers-Users] Scoping Issue With Yahoo Geocoder

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Feb 19 11:59:31 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:53:31AM -0500, Sebastian Benthall wrote:
> It's great to see somebody use that geocoder!  It reminds me that I should
> do the legwork to make it a proper addin.  If you have any other feedback on
> it, I'd love to hear it.

Sebastian,

The Yahoo! Geocoder terms of service state that the results from the
geocoder can only be displayed on top of a Yahoo! Map. (THe Google
Geocoder has the same set of terms.)

Specifically:

 You shall not:

   (ix) use the stand-alone geocoder for any use other than displaying
   Yahoo! Maps or displaying points on Yahoo! Maps;

http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/maps/mapsapi/mapsapi-2141.html

 (1.f.x)

Does the Yahoo Geocoder control ensure that the results are being
plotted on a Yahoo! Map in some way? Barring that, I'm hesitant to do
something which seems to cleary violate the Yahoo! API terms of use,
unless I"m misunderstanding something...