[OpenLayers-Dev] drawing parallel lines

toni hernández tonidelacalle at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 14:46:47 EST 2009

hi,

In the application I am working on, I need to draw a parallel line to a
previously selected linestring.
The parallel line has to be at a distance "d" in METERS.
So far the map where the lines are drawn was in UTM coordinates so I had no
problem to do that because there is a direct relation between UTM
coordinates and metric units. Just some algebra (sin, cos..) and Pythagoras
and I had the parallel line at a distance "d" (METERS).
Now the map is in Geographic coordinates and I am really confused. I do not
know how to do the parallel lines any more because I think I can not mix
meters with degrees.

any ideas?
thanks for just reading it.