[OpenLayers-Dev] Is Openlayers.org free for Commercial use?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Feb 23 07:28:02 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:17:23AM +0000, Stephen Tan wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am currently working on a web-based project that utilize online Map for a school research project.
>
> One part of our project is about tracing and tracking the products (from one company warehouse to another) with latitude and longitude data took from portable GPS device attached to the truck, than use the openlayer javascript API generate the Map and path to show the trace history of product movement.
>
> However, at later time if we need to commercialize this project, do we need to pay any fees for using openlayer API?
> What is the term and condition for commercial usage?

OpenLayers is released under the Open Source BSD license. The definition
of Open Source defines it such that nothing can be "Open Source" without
also bing free for commercial use. The only restrictions to the us of
OpeNLayers are clearly laid out in the license file at:

 http://svn.openlayers.org/trunk/openlayers/license.txt

Best Regards,