[OpenLayers-Dev] Game development problem - speed with lot of objects

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 01:46:21 EST 2009

Hi,
as mentioned earlier, OpenLayers.Layer.Markers should work for you
better (see http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/markers.html for
example).

If you decide to try custom mapserver layer, maybe you could have a
look at GeoServer [1] as well. It's configuration is GUI-based (in
contradistinction to MapServer [2]).

And to make it even more complicated, maybe storing the data into
PostGIS[3] database could simplify (at the end) some things as well.

Jachym

[1] http://geoserver.org
[2] http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu
[3] http://postgis.org

2009/1/8 Abuki <abuki at argo.in>:

> Hello,
> I´m not expert on OpenLayers and also English (I´m from Czech).
> I´m just trying to make my own browser-based game and I want to use
> OpenLayers for world map.
> Now the problem:
> I want to put on the base layer some object (coordinates from mysql)
> represented by png images (eg house) and I do it like this: make polygons
> (circles), make features and make featureLayer (I dont want use markers,
> because I would like have the clickable area not always square). Then add
> control onmouseclick, so i have clickable object - thats ok. But I dont know
> how to put there a lot of images, the only way I understand is to make image
> layer for every single PNG image, its ok BUT: When I put in mysql 1000
> objects a make this for all of them, it is slow (it takes about 10sec
> what if would come something complicated...
> I dont uderstand mapservers and i want to find the way to not use them,
> because i will run the game on hosted site, so I cant install it there. Also
> when I try only vector or images layer alone it was slow.
> So could anyone help me to get it work faster? And is it possible without
> mapserver?
> Thanks
> Abuki

Jachym Cepicky