[OpenLayers-Dev] protocol.WFS and HTTP GET

Robert Sanson SansonR at asurequality.com
Sun Jan 11 21:19:09 EST 2009

My apologies. I went back and retested some examples that had earlier given me errors with POST, and they are working now. Our ColdFusion server runs under VMWare, and our systems person did admit there was an intermittent network error due to the way the VMWare environment was initially established which has now been rectified. So it must have been due to network problems rather than OpenLayer.Request.POST specifically.

Kind regards,

Robert Sanson

>>> "Zac Spitzer" <zac.spitzer at gmail.com> 12/01/2009 3:05 p.m. >>>
that sounds wrong, can you post you POST example?

2009/1/12 Robert Sanson <SansonR at asurequality.com>:
> I was using POST for a lot of my communications between OL and a ColdFusion
> server, but discovered that POST requests seemed to hit a limit on the
> length of the URL, whereas the GET was more tolerant. Here is an example
> that failed with a POST, but succeeded with a GET:
>
> var mgatexy =
> "http://web-cf8dev.agriquality.co.nz/agribasemapdata/indexpage.cfm?mode=maingate&farmid="
> + farmid + "&easting=" + easting + "&northing=" + northing + "&lat=" +
> latitude + "&long=" + longitude;
>                   var request = OpenLayers.Request.GET({
>                         url: mgatexy,
>                         callback: setHTML3
>                       });
>
> Robert Sanson

> Hey Tim,
>
> it just came to my mind since I wanted to port all of my application's WFS
> requests to use Protocol.WFS. I use quite a bit of GET requests where POST
> is not needed.
>
> But you're right, why not use POST all the time.
>
> Best regards,
> Bart
>
>> Hey-
>>
>> bartvde at osgis.nl wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> are there any plans to support HTTP GET in Protocol.WFS?
>>
>> It would be nice to have a property that let you decide if you always
>> wanted GET.  The drawback, of course, is when you've got a filter that
>> serializes (+ rest of url) to 2083 chars.
>>
>> We're you envisioning a property, or some logic that tried to determine
>> if POST was necessary?
>>
>> Also, it's probably worth asking why it makes a difference (aside from
>> being gross that we have to POST GetFeature).
>>
>> Tim
>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Bart

>> --
>> Tim Schaub
>> OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org
>> Expert service straight from the developers.

> The contents of this email are confidential to AsureQuality. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments. The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of AsureQuality. This message has been scanned for known viruses before delivery. AsureQuality supports the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. If you do not wish to receive similar communications in future, please notify the sender of this message.

Zac Spitzer -
http://zacster.blogspot.com
+61 405 847 168