[OpenLayers-Dev] multipleSelectFeature on one layer

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Mon Jan 26 11:20:48 EST 2009

Amos Hayes wrote:

> I think the big questions for me are:
>
> Where are you planning to store the states?

Do you mean feature.state ?  I don't understand what you mean.

> How will an app developer obtain a list of currently selected features
> and distinguish between the 'selections' that have been applied if
> more than one control has been set up?

Since each SelectControl would have its own selectedFeatures array, you
can easilly access them with yourControl.selectedFeatures.  By defining
each control a different renderIntent and having a renderIntents stack
array,  you can easilly keep track of "by what control the feature was
selected".

I understand the fact that trying to have more than one SelectFeature at
a time is not very logic since one control == one type of action the
user wants to do, and normally the user wants to do 1 at a time, like :

  - select features to delete them
  - select a feature to modify its geometry then save
  - select a feature to display its attributes values in a popup

Normally, only one of theses should be active at a time, except the last
one because it's only to display some info.  The feature doesn't get
modified.  So, it could be active at the same time as the other two,
with a hover:true option to display the popup when over a feature and
changing its color.  Nothing more.  What do you think ?

Alexandre

> --
> Amos Hayes
> Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre
> Carleton University
> ahayes at gcrc.carleton.ca
> +1.613.520.2600x8179
>
> On 26-Jan-09, at 10:13 AM, Alexandre Dube wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>>  My only problem remaining : should the layer keep its selectedFeature
>> array ?  If so, on selection, it's easy to know if a feature is already
>> selected.  As soon as one control adds it to its own array, it checks in
>> the layer's one and add it if it's not there.
>>
>>  But for unselection, before removing it from the layer's array, we
>> would need to check all select features control and all controls
>> containing select features control.  Since we can easily say that one
>> control does a specific task at a time, I don't really see the use of
>> the selectedFeatures array in the layer.  I would just remove it and
>> avoid the above problem.  What do you think ?
>>
>> Alexandre
>>
>> Alexandre Dube wrote:
>>> Hi Eric,
>>>
>>>  You're right.  So instead of removing the last renderIntent from the
>>> stack, we need to remove the last renderIntent of the current
>>> SelectFeature.
>>>
>>>  SFC = SelectFeature Control
>>>  RIA = renderIntents array
>>>
>>>  Let's say the mouse goes hover a feature and get selected by a 1st
>>> SFC :
>>>
>>>  RIA : ["temporary"]
>>>
>>>  Then the user click it to select it with an other SFC :
>>>
>>>  RIA : ["temporary", "select"]
>>>
>>>  Then the mouse goes out of the feature, unselecting it from the 1st
>>> SFC :
>>>
>>>  RIA : ["select"]
>>>
>>>  The feature is still drawn with the "select" renderIntent.  What do
>>> you think ?  With this, you don't need to have 4 different
>>> possibilities.  The user can define an infinite number of different
>>> renderIntents, have a styleMap defining each one of them.
>>>
>>> Alexandre

>> --
>> Alexandre Dubé
>> Mapgears