[OpenLayers-Dev] protocol having multiple formats?

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Wed Jul 8 09:14:05 EDT 2009

On Wednesday, July 8, 2009,  <bartvde at osgis.nl> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> a question, would it be uncommon for a protocol to have multiple formats?
>
> I am asking since I am writing a client for an OGC Sensor Observation
> Service, and I have created multiple formats for it, depending on which
> request they handle (for instance DescribeSensor and GetObservation). Or
> is it advisable to combine all this in 1 single format?

Hi Bart

I don't know anything about these sensor protocols and formats, but
isn't GetObsevation like GetFeatures and DescribeSensor like
DescribeFeatureType? The type of objects our protocols currently deal
with are features (i.e. objects to be added to a vector layer), so if
my previous sentence is correct it'd make sense that the sensor
protocol do GetObservation requests. A DescribeSensor format could
still be written, but it wouldn't be used from within a protocol. Note
that this is just my gut feeling.

Cheers,