[OpenLayers-Dev] WMSGetFeatureInfo ctrl "format" parameter missing

Trond Michelsen trondmm-openlayers at crusaders.no
Fri Jul 24 18:43:02 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 04:08:39PM -0600, Tim Schaub wrote:
>> Section 7.3.1 of the WMS 1.1.1 specification says:
>>
>> "Because the WMS protocol is stateless, the GetFeatureInfo request
>> indicates to the WMS what map the user is viewing by including most of
>> the original GetMap request parameters (all but VERSION and REQUEST)."
> http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/2201

I find it a bit amusing that the standard says GetFeatureInfo must not
copy the VERSION parameter from the GetMap request, when VERSION is a
required parameter in the GetFeatureInfo request. I guess you could
make a GetFeatureInfo request with another WMS version, but would it
really make any sense to set up a WMS 1.1.1 client that creates WMS
1.3.0 GetFeatureInfo requests?

Also, for the GetFeatureInfo request, there's only one accepted value
for the EXCEPTIONS parameter, so clearly this parameter cannot be
copied from the GetMap request.

--
Trond Michelsen