[OpenLayers-Dev] Topology proposal

Björn Harrtell bjorn.harrtell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 17:51:16 EDT 2009

I've rewritten the implementation so that topology isn't calculated on
the fly, which I think might solve the problem discussed below and
also improves performance.

In doing this I got to think about the initial proposal. A redesign
that popped up in my head is to remove the idea that rules are applied
to a Vector layer and instead add a new Control called Topology that
controls the enforcement and renderIntent-stuff for the supplied layer
(or layer)

The basic idea with the above is to be able to leave the Vector Layer
completely unmodified (it's large as it is :) and also put all user
configurable interaction with the functionality in the control instead
of manipulating the rule. Any opinions?

/Björn

2009/6/4 Björn Harrtell <bjorn.harrtell at gmail.com>:
> The issue you describe is probably caused by conflicts between
> snapping and topology enforcement, more specifically both snapping and
> topology enforcement listen on vertexmodified-events and the order of
> this combined logic is significant. I haven't investigated if I can
> control priority of my event listener, but if that's possible I think
> it would solve the problems.
>
> On another note, the sandbox and example is now updated with an
> initial implementation of the renderIntent-idea which means that at
> each completed feature modification the state of topology will be
> calculated and polygon that does not satisfy the rule will be set into
> the renderIntent state "error" and will be colored in red.
>
> /Björn
>
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 00:21, Roald de Wit <roald.dewit at lisasoft.com> wrote:
>> Hi Björn,
>>
>> Great initiative! Topology preserving editing functionality would be a very
>> valuably contribution to OL (IMHO).
>> I did notice that when you edit one feature, then uncheck 'enforce
>> topology', edit a bit more (by moving vertices) and then check 'enforce
>> topology' again, the enforcing does not work anymore when you move more than
>> the snapping threshold. I know this is work in progress, so you might be
>> aware of it already.
>>
>> I'm sure that more than 1 person (2 now, including me) will be interested in
>> your work!
>>
>> Regards, Roald
>>

>> Björn Harrtell wrote:
>>>
>>> Since I got at least one (and hopefully more :) interested person(s)
>>> in the details I'm posting this information about my initial
>>> implementation of the below proposal using using events in this
>>> sandbox:
>>>
>>> http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/bjornharrtell/eventbasedtopology
>>>
>>> Check out the example at
>>>
>>> http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/bjornharrtell/eventbasedtopology/examples/topology.html
>>> to see the implementation in effect.
>>>
>>> The only change from the initial proposal is that
>>> OpenLayers.Control.ModifyFeature essentially does not have to be
>>> modified, which is made possible by basing the implementation on the
>>> vertexmodified event - though I do have added and are using
>>> delta-movement information to the vertexmodified event-message, which
>>> required small changes in DragFeature and ModifyFeature controls to
>>> fill in this information.
>>>
>>> New classes are:
>>> OpenLayers.Topology
>>> OpenLayers.Topology.Rule