[OpenLayers-Dev] javascript workers

rldhont rldhont at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 11:44:57 EDT 2009

Christopher Schmidt a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:13:40AM +0200, Esteban olm wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is in the openlayers developers' mind the idea of use javscript workers in
>> browsers that will support them to improve performance?
>>
>> I think, for example, to have two "sub-layers" for each layer, so the
>> workers draws the new data on the hidden sublayer, then when finished, it
>> calls the main thread and it hides the actual sublayer and shows the hidden
>> one, or something like that.
>>
>> For the user, there is no IU lost of performance, and he see the layer
>> re-drawn only when it has been finished.
>> Or something like that :)
>>

> As far as I know, no browser (apart from Chrome?) natively supports
> Javascript workers. The idea of maintaining something that is in such a
> small percentage of browsers in the core of OpenLayers worries me, but
> would be happy to suppot it as an addin, maintained by the community.
>
> Regards,

Firefox 3.5, which is in a public Realese Candidate Version, natively
supports JavaScript Workers. And it's probably the same implementation
in google gears like for Geolocation API.

JavaScript Workers will be usefull for reprojection, writing format,
intersection and other geo-treatment, but it's not possible to use DOM
in Worker.

Regards,

René-Luc D'Hont
3Liz