[OpenLayers-Dev] proposal for GeoExt governance

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed Mar 18 13:33:14 EDT 2009

Hey-

Erik Uzureau wrote:
> So from this mail and reading the two links... it sounds like the impact
> for OL PSC
> would be that we must make sure that:
>
> 1) GeoExt has a OSGeo-friendly license (and doesn't change it)
> 2) All contributors to GeoExt project have signed CLA
> 3) GeoExt remains Geo-related.
>
> Seems like (1) and (3) are essentially a one-time deal. (2), however,
> would imply someone from OL PSC monitoring all GeoExt commits
> and double-checking to see that CLAs are on file for the committer
> or in the event that the committer is merely acting as a reviewer,
> then for the originator of the patch.

Thanks for the response Erik.  I think you've described the practical
implications well.

> None of this seems particularly difficult or time consuming.
>
> My immediate question, though, is "can a member of the OL PSC
> act in any of these roles if they are also a member of the GeoExt
> PSC (or general community)?"

Sure.  This is what I was imagining.

Governance in this case is largely about asking for evidence that
guidelines are being met.

> If the answer is "yes", and either Tim or Eric (who I know are both
> involved in GeoExt) would like to take on the responsibilities, then
> I don't see any reason for the OL PSC *not* to approve this.
>
> If the answer is "no", then a suitable chaperone among the uninvolved
> on the OL PSC will have to step up.
>
> Are there any side effects to this that are not being listed here? I mean,
> whether the answer to my above question is "yes" or "no", it doesn't seem
> like OL PSC really has anything to *lose* either way.... maybe I'm
> missing something?

I don't think there are implications that you are missing.  If there is
no more discussion, I'll ask for a vote tomorrow.

Tim

> Erik
>

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 23:54, Tim Schaub <tschaub at opengeo.org
> <mailto:tschaub at opengeo.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hey-
>
>     GeoExt is a project that aims to provide an Ext based toolkit for
>     developing applications with OpenLayers.  The library will extend Ext
>     widgets and data management classes with mapping functionality from
>     OpenLayers.
>
>     The GeoExt project steering committee and existing users and developers
>     are interested in assigning copyright for the GeoExt code base to the
>     OSGeo foundation.  For OSGeo to accept copyright, it would be ideal if
>     an existing OSGeo project could participate in the governance of the
>     GeoExt project.
>
>     Our hope (as the GeoExt PSC) is that the OpenLayers PSC would accept
>     this responsibility.  Exactly what "participate in the governance" means
>     is a little hard to nail down.  I've put together a proposal with a bit
>     more specific language:
>
>     http://www.geoext.org/trac/geoext/wiki/governance
>
>     I'd like to open discussion on this proposal and get a vote from the
>     OpenLayers PSC some time next week.
>
>     What this means for the OpenLayers PSC:
>
>     The OpenLayers PSC requires that the GeoExt PSC provides evidence that
>     GeoExt is following the criteria for becoming an OSGeo member project
>     (as far as I can tell, this is best described here
>     http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Labs#Criteria).
>
>     In practice, this will mean that the OpenLayers PSC will request that
>     the GeoExt PSC provide information on contributors and signed
>     contributor license agreements, and that the GeoExt PSC maintains the
>     "geospatial" nature of the project.
>
>     Questions and feedback welcome.
>     Tim
>
>     --
>     Tim Schaub
>     OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org
>     Expert service straight from the developers.

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org