[OpenLayers-Dev] proposal for GeoExt governance

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu Mar 19 16:06:22 EDT 2009

Hey-

Erik Uzureau wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:28, Tim Schaub <tschaub at opengeo.org
> <mailto:tschaub at opengeo.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hey-
>
>     Erik Uzureau wrote:
>      > First off, let me reiterate that I'm not in any way against OL PSC
>      > taking on this
>      > role, nor do I have any doubt of anyone's ability to deal with these
>      > responsibilities.
>      >
>      > My objection is purely theoretical (and perhaps incredibly
>     ill-worded,
>      > sorry :-)
>      >
>      > What I'm trying to get at is the sense of "responsibility" in
>     this whole
>      > process.
>      >
>      > Perhaps I am leaping from the wrong foot, but my assumption here is
>      > that, on the one hand, the idea of assigning "governance" to the
>     OL PSC
>      > is that it's a way of having a group of people who've already been
>      > there, done that look after and help out the new guy... but on
>     the other
>      > hand, it's also a way for OSGEO to delegate the responsibility for
>      > making sure that the new guy follows all the rules. Yes?
>      >
>      > It's the second case that to me seems like it's in jeopardy when
>     the new
>      > guys happen to also be the governors. It's like allowing employees to
>      > sign off on their own expense reports.... it's essentially saying "we
>      > have complete trust in him/her".... and if that's the case, then
>     what's
>      > the use of siging off at all?
>      >

>     You could also say that the "new guys" are not really new.  They are the
>     same ones that OSGeo (essentially) entrusts with the governance of
>     OpenLayers.
>
>     The reason to involve the OpenLayers PSC is that OpenLayers has gone
>     through incubation.  The project and the processes adopted by the PSC
>     have been vetted by OSGeo.  GeoExt is unknown to OSGeo.
>

> I must really be misunderstanding or not doing a good job of expressing
> what
> I'm trying to say here, because I don't see how this response address
> anything
> that I've been trying to say this whole thread.
>
> I understand that OL's project and process have been vetted and that
> GeoExt's
> project and process have not.
>
> What I don't understand is what in the world an OL vote is going to
> signify other
> than "we think the GeoExt guys know what they are doing and will follow
> the rules."

Here's what I think a vote would signify:

"We (OL PSC) are going to require that the GeoExt PSC demonstrate to us
that they are keeping their code free of encumbrances and that the
project is in line with the criteria laid out for OSGeo member projects."

Is that unclear?

I want to keep this discussion going until we have a clear understanding.

Tim