[OpenLayers-Dev] Transition From Google's API to OL

Arnie Shore ashore3 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 28 10:29:36 EDT 2009

Hmmm.  (I was hoping quietly to myself that nuth'n wd pan out, cuz if it
did - and it does - I got a heap of work staring right at me.)

Taking  a  harder look at OSM than I'd taken earlier tells me that it
ain't half bad, given the kind of usage I'm addressing.  I'd been
concerned that the folks out in South Succotash wd have little
available, but not so.  I did a pair of test cases, and while OSM wont
get to the lowest zoom that GMaps does, I think that's quite live-able
with, with the added plus of local editing.

I'd need to provide the kind of repository SDE notes, plus some
convenient tools - Tilecache sound right - to allow a user to collect
tiles for the areas of interest.  And then there's the CAD application!

Thanks, guys - you've helped a lot!  I have a feasible direction now.

AS

PS re BarCamp:  Yep, I'm in Annapolis in June.  And July.  And ...  Will
look hard at that - first peek comes up positive.