[OpenLayers-Dev] text labels in IE8

Mike Adair madair at dmsolutions.ca
Fri May 1 14:43:30 EDT 2009

So I've been banging my head on IE for long enough on this, I'd like to
know if anyone else has any ideas...

I'm trying to get the new vector labeling working in IE8 and to figure
out why it's not working locally.  All test cases are in IE8
compatibility mode, Quirks mode.

If I go to the examples page at:
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/vector-features-with-text.html  it
works without a problem, labels show up aligned with the vector features.
If I load the example served from my local machine (from an MS4W
instance), the labels all appear in the top-left corner. (both default
single-file build and loading individual files)
If I load the example served from my local machine  but with the
OpenLayers single file build at http://openlayers.org/dev/OpenLayers.js
it works properly.

Doing a diff on the generated VML shows that for the one that works, the
<ovl:textbox> node has extra style properties of:
"MARGIN-TOP: 88.875pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 141.375pt; TOP: auto; LEFT: auto"
which appears to make the labels show up in the correct place.  I've
searched the WML renderer code and I can't find anywhere that is adding
those properties

So I guess the questions are:
- what's the difference between a local single file build and the one
server from openlayer.org?
- anyone know what is adding those extra style properties?

Thanks for any pointers,

Mike

--

   Michael Adair