[OpenLayers-Dev] Dynamic SLD in a GetMap-Request via HTTP-POST

Ingo Weinzierl Hi ingo.weinzierl at intevation.de
Wed May 6 03:25:18 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Thursday 30 April 2009 20:20:46 Tim Schaub wrote:
> Hey-
>
> Andreas Hocevar wrote:
> > Hi Ingo,
> >
> > Ingo Weinzierl wrote:
> >> I am thinking about a topic of my thesis in the next month. While
> >> working on a project using OpenLayers, I asked myself if it's possible
> >> to send a WMS GetMap-Request via HTTP-POST to include a SLD.
> >> I have searched for this problem via google, the mailing-lists and in
> >> the examples of OL, but the only way to use SLDs in a GetMap-Request I
> >> could find is via url to a file or in a HTTP-GET url, which has limited
> >> length. The idea of my tutor and me is to realize a WMS GetMap-Request
> >> via HTTP-POST to be able to include longer SLDs.
> >>
> >> What are you thinking about this idea? Or is it absolutely impossible?
> >
> > It is actually a good idea, and I would already have developed
> > OpenLayers support for it if there weren't other things of higher
> > priority. Sending WMS requests via POST is covered by the WMS spec, but
> > things become complicated when you want to display the resulting image
> > in a browser. Tim Schaub and I have played around a bit with
> > XMLHttpRequest and responseStream [1], but it did not work as described
> > there. Maybe we were just missing something obvious.
>
> Yeah, my (quick) assumption was that responseStream was not available in
> FF3 (at least).
>
>  >>> var req = new XMLHttpRequest()
>  >>> req.open("GET", ".", false);
>  >>> req.send(null)
>
> GET http://localhost/    200 OK    15ms
>
>  >>> typeof req.responseStream
>
> "undefined"
>
> So, despite being a "perfectly reasonable way" [1] to request images, I
> haven't seen it work.  Happy to be shown otherwise.

After a little investigation, it seems that there are more people arround
having this problem with responseStream. Maybe I can find somebody of the
google team who can help at that point. Otherwise I will search the web for
this problem.

> Tim
>
> [1]
> http://n2.nabble.com/Request---ProxyHost-Question-td2190618.html#a2191803
>
> > Having said that: if you want to develop this for OpenLayers, I'll be
> > willing to mentor.

Thanks, that sounds nice. My thesis starts not until july, but I gonna contact
you when I start working on it.