[OpenLayers-Dev] Format and version

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri May 8 07:40:25 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 10:43:24AM +0200, bartvde at osgis.nl wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> currently some of OL's Format classes have an uppercase VERSION
> attribute/constant (Filter for instance) which contains the version of the
> Format, others have a lowercase version, and then again others have no
> version info at all (like KML).
>
> When writing out a Layer's Server tag in OWSContext version is required.
>
> Is there any chance we could standardize this on OL's Format class?
>
> Thoughts?

You said "when writing out a Layer's Server tag". To me, that implies
that the version would be best attached to the layer, no? Finding it on
the format seems strange.

KML, for example, will read most versions of the KML format -- though
none of them completely -- and therefore, every time you read data,
you're going to get a different answer for the version...

Seems like this is the kind of thing that you need to give the
information on at the Layer level in order for it to be meaningful,
at least in some cases.