[OpenLayers-Dev] [Fwd: [OpenLayers-PSC] Two proposals: Copyright in Source, Corporate Copyright in Authors]

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Nov 10 23:35:18 EST 2009

Hey-

Roald de Wit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you are going to change the license, why not assign the copyright to
> OSGeo like has happened with GeoExt [1]? To me it seems that assigning
> it to 'OpenLayers Contributors' can cause issues if you want to change
> the license in the future, since you'll need to ask every contributor to
> agree on this. I've seen something similar happen with the Mozilla
> project [2]. Or does our BSD-like license not suffer from that?

To be clear, this proposal is not about changing the license granted
when MetaCarta distributes OpenLayers (the Clear BSD).  This proposal is
about two things:

1) the copyright statement in the code, and
2) the authors.txt file that we maintain.

The PSC is at a point where we can vote about changing those two things.
  The PSC *cannot* assign copyright of OpenLayers to another entity
(like OSGeo).  The PSC also *cannot* distribute OpenLayers with any
other license unless it conforms with the Clear BSD.  The PSC *can* (at
a later time) collect new contributor agreements from all contributors
that either 1) assign copyright to a different entity, 2) grant license
to a different entity to sublicense OpenLayers as they please.  In
addition, MetaCarta can be advised by the PSC to distribute OpenLayers
with a different license.

All of the above can be discussed as separate topics.  None really have
to do with these two specific proposals.  These proposals are about
clarifying the current situation: OpenLayers copyright is held
collectively by the OpenLayers contributors, not by MetaCarta.

Thanks for voting,
Tim

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org