[OpenLayers-Dev] [Fwd: [OpenLayers-PSC] Two proposals: Copyright in Source, Corporate Copyright in Authors]

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Nov 11 10:19:24 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 01:19:11PM +1100, Roald de Wit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you are going to change the license, why not assign the copyright to
> OSGeo like has happened with GeoExt [1]? To me it seems that assigning
> it to 'OpenLayers Contributors' can cause issues if you want to change
> the license in the future, since you'll need to ask every contributor to
> agree on this.

This is not the case specifically because of the CLA; 'the Maintainer'
has the right to relicense the code as they see fit, essentially.
(Currently, the maintainer is MetaCarta; it is likely that this
will change to be OSGeo at some point in the relatively near
future, at least for new contributions.)

Best Regards,