[OpenLayers-Dev] GitHub straw poll

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Fri Apr 16 19:22:57 EDT 2010

Hey-

In advance of our infrastructure meeting (time TBD), I thought I'd take
a poll for the heck of it.

Would people be in favor of or opposed to moving the OpenLayers
repository to GitHub?

If the developers are interested in a change like this (even if it is
not until 3.0) we could create a PSC managed account called openlayers
and put whatever projects (e.g. website, openlayers) under that.
Anybody could fork.  "Core" committers would become collaborators on the
openlayers account.

If we go with GitHub, we may or may not want to use their issue tracker.
  This is a separate topic for discussion (the github-trac plugin can
allow some integration of Trac and GitHub).

If we go with GitHub, we could also discuss using their wiki and GitHub
pages for a static website (still hosted from http://openlayers.org).
These are also separate topics for discussion.

I'm interested mainly to hear if people are generally in favor or
opposed to the idea of a repository move - and a move specifically to
GitHub for hosting.

Tim

--
Tim Schaub