[OpenLayers-Dev] GitHub straw poll

Sebastian Benthall seb at opengeo.org
Mon Apr 19 16:43:46 EDT 2010

Just 2 cents--

I've spent a good deal of time in 'sandbox hell.'  My own fault, to be sure.
 But I have often felt that more sophisticated merge tool's like gits' would
have helped me get out of it: more fluidly contributing back from a sandbox
on which some app I was working on depended and pulling core work back in,
with the goal of getting all the way back to core.

(These were cases where my development schedule made it hard to be a good
citizen in the short run.)

As for unpublished forks, one nice thing about github is that it tracks
forking, provides notifications, and generally encourages the social network
around the network of code branching and experimentation so that the
community isn't lost despite the decentralization.

Sebastian Benthall
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org