[OpenLayers-Dev] XMLHttpRequest.js license

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Apr 21 09:16:37 EDT 2010

Note that since we have obtained his permission to distribute under a less restrictive license, this is not a problem.  However, for my own edification and for future consideration with this and other open source projects, I'd like to understand this a little more.

I just read through the LGPLv3 and GPL (ugh) in an attempt to understand why Roald might think that this license would somehow be bad for OpenLayers and also to understand what might happen if, in the future, we find some other component under LGPL that would be good to include.  While it is probable that you would need a legal interpretation, the section 4 Combined Works of the LGPL v3 is pretty clear that you can distributed a combined work under terms of your choice as long as the terms do not restrict modification of the Library (XMLHttpRequest.js in this case) and that you distribute the appropriate copyright and license information with the combined work.  There are 5 conditions in total and none of them seem to impact OpenLayers.

Any one have any insight into this?

Cheers

Paul