[OpenLayers-Dev] Patrch for getting vector drawing working over the 180 line going.

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Wed Aug 18 23:11:09 EDT 2010

  Tim, apologies for the tone of earlier email. I am finding this a
frustrating exercise and believe me, openlayers is best javascript
client I can find. I really appreciate your efforts with this one. The
alternative for us is arc web mapping and I've gone grey making it work.
For the problem of combining vector data across the 180 line with google
imagery, ESRI's response could be summarised as "bite your bum".

> Please don't try to bake in any assumptions about heading in a line
> segment.
But surely you are already making an assumption on 179 0, -179 0 - to
draw it right around the globe? I cant think a of single application
where this would be correct. An assumption surely has be made some time
as a two point segment like this is inherently ambiguous on a globe. The
shortest path assumption might not be the most economical from a
programming points of view but is surely the one most likely to be correct?

--
Phil Scadden, Senior Scientist GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St,
Private Bag 1930, Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, fax +64 3 477 5232