[OpenLayers-Dev] Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] Vandalism on http://gallery.openlayers.org/

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Feb 5 09:52:28 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:18:33PM +0100, Oscar Fonts wrote:
> FYI.

Yeah, this is my bad.

So what happened is that I upgraded Django on the OpenLayers box;
the why/how of that isn't really interesting, but I did. However,
the Django that was installed there was some old version that was never
dated or anything like that, and the OL gallery + FAQ depended on stuff
that was *not* in 0.96 *or* in 1.0. (Great!)

So, I got some of the edit forms working again, but the Captcha stuff
broke. (Even more great.) so this basically opened the door to the spammers.

Unfortunately, the gallery has no wiki-like functionality, so the data
is (I believe) lost via the mechanisms stored on the OL server.

The wayback machine has a not-totally-useless archive
from a year ago:

 http://web.archive.org/web/20080822035114/http://gallery.openlayers.org/

What I would suggest, at this point, is that we merge the OL Gallery
with the OSGeo gallery --

  http://gallery.osgeo.org/

Some of the things in that gallery are already using OpenLayers, so it
makes sense to combine efforts; and OSGeo has the benefit that more than
one person can maintain the software/hardware that it's sitting on.

I would love for some volunteers to work on taking data from the existing
(spammed) OL gallery -- at least the links appear to still work --
and reproduce it inside the OSGeo gallery, including "OpenLayers" in
the technology list, and thus reproducing at
  http://gallery.osgeo.org/?tag=openlayers

What used to be at gallery.openlayers.org.

-- Chris