[OpenLayers-Dev] Fwd: Grid-style loading of Markers

Evan James Bowling evan.bowling at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 15:52:59 EST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Evan James Bowling <evan.bowling at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:52 PM
Subject: Re: [OpenLayers-Dev] Grid-style loading of Markers
To: Matt Williamson <MatthewDW at gmail.com>

 What do you think about just limiting which points get loaded? This would
still need a bit of a server component but it wouldn't be anything as big as
Geoserver.

 There are also ways to cluster a large set of data
points<http://dev.openlayers.org/docs/files/OpenLayers/Strategy/Cluster-js.html>such
that only a manageable amount would be displayed. I have messed with
this functionality much myself, but I intend to give it a shot soon.

Unless you are willing to restrict the zoom interface to only a few levels
it seems like generating that amount of tiles would be more work than its
worth ( just my opinion).

Hope some of this helps.

Evan Bowling