[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers and Prototype conflict in IE

gingerbbm stuart.jones at jacobs.com
Thu Feb 18 05:37:18 EST 2010

Dear all

There seems to be a conflict between OpenLayers and Prototype in IE6, 7 and
8.

If you declare OpenLayers in the <head> section before the Prototype
declaration, Event.pointerX() is defined. But include OpenLayers after
Prototype and Event.pointerX() is not defined. Examples:

http://gingerbbm.com/dev/ie-working.html

http://gingerbbm.com/dev/ie-problem.html

I've been through the forum history, and found the following regarding
placement of the declarations and the effect on the Event object:

http://n2.nabble.com/playing-nicely-with-prototype-Event-td1833442.html#a1833442

http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/880

It's a problem for me because I want to load the OpenLayers library
dynamically in order to speed up the intial page load in my application and
make the experience better for my users. I hadn't noticed any issues until
including the Prototip tooltip library which calls Event.pointerX(). Of
course this is only a problem in IE.

If anyone has any ideas of a workaround I'm all ears!

Many thanks
Stuart