[OpenLayers-Dev] github attempts

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Sun Jul 4 18:45:56 EDT 2010

On 7/4/10 8:33 AM, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2010, at 10:28 AM, ext christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:
>
>> Yo,
>>
>> So, in testing github out, I:
>> 1. Forked openlayers/openlayers. (I did this a week ago)
>> 1a. Since my fork was out of date, I did:
>>         git pull git at github.com:openlayers/openlayers.git master
>>         git push
>>     To update my fork.
>> 2. Made some changes in my fork, and pushed them
>
> Though I now see that fredj had already made the same changes. Curses!
>
> fredj, I think you need to be pushing to the master repo more often :)
> I assume you have access; is there a reason to be way out on a branch
> like you are?

As far as I can tell, fredj has been using the online fork queue tool to
cherry pick commits from his fork, replaying these on the central repo.
  The result is that we have identical commits in the central repo and
fredj's repo, but they don't have the same SHA.  I think the same was
happening between cedric's fork and fredj's.  This is not that big a
deal, except that it makes the forks look artificially divergent - and
the central repository's history will look weird when we get things
properly merged.  Not that big a deal, things will get smoother as we
all get handier with git.

Chris, I think what you did looks good.  A couple things that you might
want to consider (depending on what makes sense to you).

     git remote add central git at github.com:openlayers/openlayers.git

If you run this in your repo, you can start using "central" to refer to
the central repo.  Then pulling recent changes from the central repo
would look like this:

     git pull central master

This pull implicitly does a fetch and merge.  If you're pulling from a
somewhat untrustworthy remote, it probably makes sense to `git fetch`
and `git merge` independently.

After you do this, you can poke around your .git directory to see how
things are configured (see .git/config for your named remote repositories).

     cat .git/refs/remotes/central/master

That's the SHA of the latest commit you have from the master branch in
the central repo.

     git show central/master

That's git's view of the latest commit you have from the master branch
in the central repo.  (And `git log central/master` for the full log.)

Tim

> -- Chris

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org