[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers 2.10 versus 3.0

Roald de Wit R.deWit at bom.gov.au
Tue Jun 15 02:08:59 EDT 2010

Hi,

FWIW: I'd be happy for OL to move to a 3.0 release at some stage. This
would allow us moving forward without having to worry about breaking the
API. Parallel to that, I assume we would need to keep the 2.x series
alive for some time (6 - 12 months?) for people to get comfortable with
the new 3.x series.

Currently OL is pretty solid and stable. It will take a while before the
3.x series will get to that point and I assume quite a few people will
wait until it is stable enough for them to migrate their app(s).

So, why not start a 3.x branch for the edgy stuff and backport bug fixes
into 2.x instead of choosing either 3.x or 2.x?

Regards,

Roald