[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers 2.10 versus 3.0

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Tue Jun 15 16:21:44 EDT 2010

On Jun 15, 2010, at 4:05 PM, ext Tim Schaub wrote:

> I'm in favor of 3.0 (I think this is widely known) and 2.10.
>
> Since it sounds like we are going to have a good contingent of
> developers in Barcelona, why don't we focus on 2.10 until then and do
> the big planning for 3.0 then?
>
> Unless people really have a lot of time to dedicate to coordinated 3.0
> development ahead of FOSS4G, I think we would benefit from discussion in
> person about 3.0 design.

Practically speaking, I think that if we do this, 3.0 will never
get done.

A lot of our good development has basically been 3-4 days of concentrated
developer time in one place. Discussion is something I feel we really
should be able to do in IRC meetings (or, if it would be better, I'm
happy to set up a phone meeting for any interested parties). I think
we'd be much more likely to actually achieve something if we could
walk into a room and get a solid start on getting code checked into
SVN.

If we have a day of coding -- or preferably more -- with many of us
in one place, I think there's a good chance of 3.0 actually coming
out in a timely manner. If we don't, I think we're going to find
ourselves in a position where we all have things we want to do for
3.0 that we'd never get time to do.

Nokia