[OpenLayers-Dev] Mobile touch screen support - how's it developing?

Mårten Karlberg mortkarlberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 03:33:00 EDT 2010

Hi all!

I'm starting looking at the possibility of using OpenLayers in a web app for
mobile phones with touch screens (iPhone, Android, ...). I found Whit's work
and some spin offs on that, but find the performance quite poor (bad
responsiveness and long delays). But his work is two years old. Does anyone
know what's happened since then? Are there any successful attempts that you
can point me at? Any ideas of why it isn't working that good? Could it be
the OpenLayers stack basic architecture that does not fit well with the
touch events or is the problem that mobile browsers are poorly optimized?
For comparison I tested touchMapLite, which perform quite better but doesn't
provide the range of features as the OpenLayers API.

(I'm sorry if this topic has already been discussed lately. But the mailing
list search (still!) only report server error.)

Best Regards

Mårten Karlberg
GIS-student, Sweden