[OpenLayers-Dev] newbie q: how to create a new class that is not inherited

crb jcbeaude at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 00:50:54 EDT 2010

I'm new to OL (and fairly new to JavaScript) and want to create new JS
classes for my app so that all objects and methods are within the app
namespace.  The classes are not subclasses of OL objects but I'd like to use
the OL framework since it seems to make sense (maybe not?).  I've gotten
fairly close but I'm not able to define a dot-delimited namespace w/o
getting 'is not defined' errors.

Here's an example that works using a classname of just 'BaseMap':

HTML:
<head>
<script type="text/javascript" src="myclass.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">

      function initBasemap() {
          var myBaseMap = new BaseMap();
      }

    </script>
</head>

JAVASCRIPT (myclass.js):

BaseMap = OpenLayers.Class(null,
{
    map: null,
    layer: null,
    initialize: function() {
    . . .
    },

    CLASS_NAME: "BaseMap"
});

What I'd like to be able to do us use a class name of
'com.mycompany.appname.BaseMap', but if I make those substitutions I get a
'com is not defined' error.

Am I overlooking something basic?  Should I be using something other than
the OL framework for JS classes?  We're also using jQuery for other things
(DOM manipulation, etc.) and would be willing to use that if it makes more
sense, but I'd rather not use yet another framework.