[OpenLayers-Dev] ICLA/CCLA changes

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Mon Sep 13 07:56:05 EDT 2010

Hi,

I have just committed an update to the OpenLayers ICLA/CCLA to identify
OSGeo as the current maintainer organization, and to redirect mailed
CLAs to a physical address maintained by Tyler Mitchell. (The previous
addresses will be disappearing very soon, and the fax number in particular
was already gone.)

Additionally, the ICLA instructions have been updated to include an option
that can simply be e-mailed with an I AGREE statement rather than a signed
option which requires paper mail or a scanner. (This is based in part on
research into other organizations, like Google, doing similar things.)

At the moment, we do not have always-available access to a fax number. Any
organization which needs access to fax can arrange such access; I'll need
to chat with Tyler more to double check the process on this. (If we see
a significant need, we can spend more time on getting something set up.)

If anyone has any questions or concerns about the current CLA setup,
please let me know. I'm working here to get CLAs out of only being in
my hands -- something that has caused a fair amount of pain over the years,
as we're all aware :)

A brief note to those unfamiliar with CLAs: The ICLA/CCLA are designed only
to ensurethat the code being made available is something that we can
include in  OpenLayers without being concerned that it is taken from some
other  source to which we do not have rights. It is essentially the same
as someone stating that the code in question is released under the BSD,
and if the CLA itself makes organizations uncomfortable, a public
statement from  a copyright holder that the code is released under
the BSD license will generally suffice as an alternative. We have
been strict about these things only as a method to ensure that all
users of the project are protected from undue persecution by potential
contributors who wish to potentially harm the project.

If any of this is unclear, I'm happy to expand more on it, on list or
offlist.

Thanks!

-- Chris