[OpenLayers-Dev] layer order in findLayers() of WMSGetFeatureInfo and WMTSGetFeatureInfo controls

Marc Jansen jansen at terrestris.de
Fri Apr 8 06:46:32 EDT 2011

Hi Bart,

I am currently looking at application code that registers an
eventlistener to getfetureinfo on the WMSGetFeatureInfoControl.

In that handler all results except for the first a thrown away. UMN
Mapserver in that particular case returns the results for the particular
location in the order they were requested.

The current logic in WMSGetFeatureInfo orders the layers for GetMap in a
different Way than for GetFeatureInfo. For UMN this results in a setup
where one only sees a feature from layer B (it is drawn atop a feature
at the same location from layer A) and the first result of the GFI is
the feature from layer A.

I am totally unsure what (if any) sorting is being applied to results of
getFeatureInfo-results by the various WMS-implementations or what the
standard says.

At least for UMN the order seems to be relevant.

I know that the application code could be refactored to examine the
results and find the correct one, but I also see UMN mapserver behaving
as one might (!) expect it to do:

Draw layer B atop of A => REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=A,B
Query Layer for Feature Info => REQUEST=GetFeatureInfo&QUERY_LAYERS=B,A

I am just unsure what the correct behaviour is, and if we should ignore
the fact that UMN does respect the order of QUERY_LAYERS.

I hope my point is somehow clear and not to insignificant (Maybe I
should not be working on this after a week of conference-stress ;-)).

Regards,
Marc