[OpenLayers-Dev] SVG2 and 2.11

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Fri Apr 8 18:43:57 EDT 2011

Thanks for the explanation Andreas.  I think this would make good detail
for the release notes.

After 2.11, I think it would be worth trying SVG2 as the default.  If
there are benefits and no (serious) issues, I think we could push the
SVG2 code into SVG (bringing the benefit to folks without having to
change any build profiles).  Then we could deprecate SVG2.

Tim

On 4/7/11 3:13 PM, Andreas Hocevar wrote:
> Hey Tim,
>
> I don't have links available, but the parts of the discussion that I
> recall are probably the ones you are asking for. See answers inline.
>
> On Apr 7, 2011, at 20:27 , Tim Schaub wrote:
>
>> I've read through the ticket above, and I see a mention of
>> "workarounds that we needed for older browsers" - but nothing
>> really specific.
>
> The only workaround that's really gone is the limitation of the
> allowed coordinate range, with all the weird feature clipping and
> unrendered / incompletely rendered feature handling.
>
>> Where does the SVG2 renderer not work (and where does is work)?
>
> It works everywhere I have tested it (recent Chrome and Safari
> versions, iOS, Firefox 3. It may not work in Firefox 2.x.
>
>> What benefits does the SVG2 renderer bring (I'm not doubting them
>> here, just giving an opportunity to trumpet them)?
>
> Features are not re-rendered on zoom level changes (performance
> boost!), and are immediately visible when they pan into view.
>
>> Having answers to these two questions would allow us to decide
>> whether this needs to be named SVG2 or if it could take the SVG
>> name.  Again, I might have (or likely did) miss discussion on the
>> list about this.  I see that a decision was made on the ticket, and
>> I'm not necessarily suggesting we revisit that decision.  I think
>> the information would be useful for the release notes if nothing
>> else.
>
> Personally I'd love to have SVG2 as default SVG renderer, but since
> we haven't done so long enough before the release so we can get
> testing feedback from users, I'd say it would not be wise to do the
> switch for 2.11.
>
> Having said that, I think adding the information we have now to the
> release notes makes sense.
>
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/wiki/Release/2.11/Notes
>
> If you think that the information I provided above is enough please
> let me know, and I'll add it to the release notes.
>
> Andreas.
>

>> Thanks, Tim
>>
>> -- Tim Schaub OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org Expert service straight
>> from the developers.