[OpenLayers-Dev] Modifiying Vector layer protocol URL and forcing a layer refresh

joe.tito joetito1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 11:19:43 EDT 2011

I have created a vector layer with an auto refreshing georss feed and I'm
trying to figure out how to force the layer to refresh after I change the
URL of the protocol. Whenever a user moves the map, I'm trying to pass the
current extent of the map to my PHP page that returns my GeoRSS feed.

Here is the code I have used to create the vector layer:

*markers = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector("Markers", {
    strategies: [new OpenLayers.Strategy.Fixed(),
                     new OpenLayers.Strategy.Refresh({interval:
refreshTime}),
		    new OpenLayers.Strategy.Cluster({distance: 15, threshold: 1})],
    protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.HTTP({
        url:  "http://mysite.com/maps/georss.php",
        format: new OpenLayers.Format.GeoRSS()
    }),
    styleMap: new OpenLayers.StyleMap({"default": style})
 });*

Here is how I am changing the protocol url:

*markers.protocol.url = "http://zoobl.com/maps/georss.php?pointCount=10";*

I just can't seem to figure out the proper way to force my vector layer to
refresh on command instead of waiting for the next refresh period to hit.