[OpenLayers-Dev] How to handle large datasets?

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Mon Aug 29 17:29:45 EDT 2011

> My company is trying to expand on our current application to handle large
> data sets. Right now our application comfortably handles 2000-3000 points,
> but we'd like to expand our capabilities to handle at LEAST 20,000 points.
> More would be nice, but our minimum requirement is 20,000.
What I have found works best is to split the functionality between WMS
and WFS. For display of your data, add it has a WMS layer with
appropriate SLD. You might like to look at SLDSelect (and the OL example
for it) to show how much you can do with WMS on display side. For
querying, use WFS. You get the high speed drawing of 100,000s of points
with WMS and all the power of WFS for querying.