[OpenLayers-Dev] 2.11 blocker: remove GoogleNG

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Aug 30 19:28:27 EDT 2011

Hey,

I regret to say we've got to hold off on the 2.11 release until we pull
the GoogleNG layer.

This layer uses the google.maps.MapType getTile method
(http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/javascript/reference.html#MapType)
to retrieve individual tiles and renders the layer as with other XYZ layers.

A primary intent of Google's terms of use is that the individual tiles
are not accessed directly.  Instead, users need to use the whole map
interface to render a layer.  We've been given a bit of grace with the
way that we wrap the Google Maps API, but this case is a more clear cut
violation.

In addition, to display copyright information, the layer uses an
undocumented method of pulling in image attribution information.  There
are cases where the attribution information we are displaying is
incorrect.  Using an undocumented method and displaying improper
copyright information violate the terms of use.

I've put together a patch to remove the GoogleNG layer.  Anybody using
this layer from the trunk should modify their examples to use a
different layer instead.

http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/ticket/3481

Tim

On 8/28/11 10:33 AM, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to put forward a motion to release the current OL 2.11 RC3 as the final
> OL 2.11 release unless we hear any showstopping regressions by Wednesday morning.
>
> If anyone has any reason not to do this, speak now or forever hold your peace :)
>
> +1 crschmidt

> Dev mailing list
> Dev at lists.osgeo.org

Tim Schaub